Intuit released their 2013 versions of the QuickBooks software a few weeks ago. This article gives our opinion on who should upgrade, discusses the new features you may want to stay away from, and highlights those features that you'll definitely want to take a look at as soon as possible. This article covers QuickBooks Enterprise, QuickBooks Premier, and QuickBooks Pro. If you're looking for the new features of QuickBooks Point of Sale 2013, CLICK HERE. While there are some significant new features and enhancements in the new version, there are a few issues to look out for when upgrading. Firstly, the allow online payment link on invoices will not work on this first release of the product, so those companies using billing services for online payments should wait for a patch update to the program and then upgrade. PDF creation issues, and a few other minor problems have also been reported, but as usual, Intuit is working on a patch to correct these minor issues and will have an update ready soon.
Enhancements to ALL QuickBooks versions: (QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise)
- User Interface and Home Page Redesign - This version sports a major user interface overhaul, including a new left bar giving access to a wealth of information such as shortcuts, to-do's, account balances. reports, open windows, and much more. The left bar can be customized by user and can be minimized if needed. Click on the below image for a closer view. The top bar has been removed by default, but the user interface can be reverted to the old style with the shortcut bar at the top of the screen at any time from the view menu. New features of the program are also displayed in pop-up tips when visiting a screen in the new version for the first time to help users to become familiar with the new features quicker than previous versions.
- Improved Customer and Vendor Centers - Information is more easily accessible from the customer and vendor centers with tabs for transactions, contacts, to-do's, and notes. Multiple contacts to-do's and notes can now also be entered for each customer or vendor. Notes are now date stamped, rather than only one note available per name entry.
- Many more contact information type fields - For each contact added, you can now specify many more types of fields.
- Transaction Toolbar - A new toolbar has been added to transaction windows for easy access to related tasks and information. Notice the multiple tabs within the toolbar:
- Billable Time and Expense Preference - There is a new company preferences to default time entries and expenses as billable, rather than having to specify this on timesheet entries each time.
- Reports Preference for Items - Just like accounts, you can now specify whether you want to display items by name, description, or both on reports.
- Invoice Totals Print on Final Page only - Previously, the invoice total would print on every page of multiple-page invoices confusing customers, but now the total will only print on the last page of invoices.
- Print Bills - you can now print bills for internal signature authorization, filing, or other purposes.
- Credits Print on Payment Stubs - Now credits that were applied while producing vendor payments are also printed on the payment stub avoiding vendor confusion regarding applying payments to invoices properly.
- Control ACH & Credit Card Payment Methods Separately - For each customer, you're now able to specify whether they can pay by ACH or Credit Card separately.
- Paste into Search Field - you can now copy and paste into the search field
Enhancements to QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Only
- Default Class Assignment - You can now choose to set a default class, based on which account, item, or name is selected on the transaction.
- Automatically Create Purchase Orders - You can now auto-create POs based on reorder points.
- Available Quantity Used on Inventory Reports - Inventory reports now use the available quantity for Re-Order Points
- BIN Tracking (Sub-Locations or Locations within a Warehouse) - You can now specify locations within inventory sites.
- Bar Code Scanning - added ability to scan barcodes for items instead of manually entering.
- Increased List Limits- the maximum number of various lists have been dramatically increased as follows:
- Accounts - from 10,000 to 100,000
- Customer and Vendor Types - from 10,000 to 100,000
- Classes - from 10,000 to 100,000
- Customer Messages - from 10,000 to 100,000
- To Do's - from 10,000 to 100,000
- Memorized Transactions - from 29,000 to 50,000
- Number of Items Allowed in a Group Item - from 20 to 50
- Advanced Inventory Sites - from 200 to 1,000,000